Family Court Support
The Family Court Support (FCS) program is a free and confidential service providing trained volunteers to accompany women to the Family Court and Federal Circuit Court in Adelaide.
At the Women's Information Service (WIS) we recognise that the Family Court process is often very stressful and sometimes long.
During the process you may find you spend a lot of time waiting around and if you are on your own it can be quite daunting.
Family Court Support volunteers attend a comprehensive training program and are experienced with the court processes and in accompanying women to court.
What we can do
- accompany you to the Family Court for hearings, mediation and family conferences
- provide information about the Family Court and its processes
- liaise with security staff when arriving at the court building and during court proceedings
- sit with you before and during the hearing
- offer a listening ear throughout the day at court
- keep your personal information and details confidential
- introduce you to WIS for information and referrals about other issues including domestic and sexual violence, housing options, financial matters and health and wellbeing
What we can't do
- give legal advice
- provide counselling
- provide transport to or from the court
- provide childcare
How to request a Family Court Support volunteer
- Contact WIS to make a booking.
- Make sure you have the following details:
- Date and time of your court appointment
- Details of which court you will be attending (Family Court or Federal Circuit Court)
- Will anyone else be attending with you?
- WIS staff will take your details and call you closer to the court date to confirm the name of the FCS volunteer who will meet you on the day of your court appearance.
NB: WIS will endeavor to ensure a volunteer will attend, but please be aware that making a booking does not guarantee a volunteer will be available.
Secure room at the family court
In cases where there has been a history of domestic violence you have the option to to book a secure room at the court. This is a great service offered by the court and provides you with a safe space, away from your ex-partner, to wait until your case is called. Security guards are very supportive of this arrangement and are happy to escort you to and from the secure room as required.
To book a secure room call: 1300 352 000
Childcare at the family court
Childcare at the court is not guaranteed, so please be aware that you may need to make other arrangements.
WIS Family Court Support volunteers cannot give you legal advice.